Over the weekend, Ubisoft apparently misplaced management of one among its greatest video video games, Rainbow Six Siege, as attackers appeared to infiltrate it and seize management of quite a few core features. The brand new bizarro sport operators created a chaotic free-for-all that Ubisoft apparently couldn’t put to relaxation whereas retaining the sport on-line.
So the sport, a team-oriented tactical first-person shooter kind of like Counter-Strike however with an emphasis on destructible environments, was taken down deliberately on Saturday. As of this writing on Sunday, it nonetheless wasn’t again up. There’s no marketing campaign mode for the sport, so there’s nothing to play with the servers down.
There’s no official assertion on the identification of the alleged perpetrators.
A rollback is at present ongoing and afterwards, in depth high quality management assessments shall be executed to make sure the integrity of accounts and effectiveness of adjustments. The staff is concentrated on getting gamers again into the sport as shortly as doable. Please know that this matter is… https://t.co/cG4zBIBBGB
— Rainbow Six Siege X (@Rainbow6Game) December 28, 2025
Relatively ominously, the X account of the malware code and knowledge repository VX-Underground claims that the Rainbow Six Siege assault coincided with a number of wider, and doubtlessly extra damaging infiltrations at Ubisoft, rumored to incorporate the theft of proprietary code and probably even non-public consumer knowledge, although none of this has been confirmed.
According to Bleeping Computer, there has not but been a public launch of details about the character of the Rainbow Six Siege assault, and that publication’s reporting has been drawn from stories posted on-line by gamers.
How a lot havoc was it? Nicely, in accordance with one X consumer, the attackers turned the ban announcement pop-ups right into a kind of meme ticker, making them drip out the lyrics to “It Wasn’t Me” by Shaggy.
It’s one factor for Rainbow 6 Siege to be utterly taken over by hackers
However for them to even be this artistic 😭 pic.twitter.com/gsuhCVJmxv
— Jake Fortunate (@JakeSucky) December 27, 2025
Extra substantively, Bleeping Pc says the attackers took management of participant bans and ban reversal, and distributed 2 billion credit within the sport’s in-game foreign money, together with an equally economy-destroying quantity of “renoun,” in-game clout factors that additionally operate as a kind of foreign money. All skins and beauty gadgets had been opened to all gamers as effectively.
Credit are bought for precise fiat foreign money, so, by Bleeping Pc’s math, two billion credit interprets to roughly $13.33 million—although it’s uncertain anybody was capable of convert that into an precise, real-world fortune.
With their sport successfully an asylum run by overtly hostile inmates, Ubisoft took the servers for Rainbow Six Siege, and the accompanying sport market, offline whereas engineers set about placing every thing again collectively. Ubisoft posted on X that gamers wouldn’t be punished for spending the credit the attackers had given them.
➡️ No one shall be banned for spending credit acquired. A rollback of all transactions that occurred since 11 AM (UTC time) is underway.
➡️ The ban ticker was turned off in a previous replace. Any messages seen weren’t triggered by us.
➡️ An official R6 ShieldGuard ban wave did… https://t.co/zbPYDJQa3O
— Rainbow Six Siege X (@Rainbow6Game) December 27, 2025
The unhealthy information for gamers, nevertheless, is that as of Sunday, engineers were in the process of rolling back all those purchases as a part of the restore effort.
The latest X post from Rainbow Six Siege as of this writing says “The staff is concentrated on getting gamers again into the sport as shortly as doable,” and that the “matter is being dealt with with excessive care and subsequently, timing can’t be assured.”
Gizmodo reached out to Ubisoft for info on whether or not the assault is de facto extra expansive than simply Rainbow Six Siege, whether or not knowledge was stolen from Ubisoft, and whether or not there may be any info but in regards to the nature of the assault and what vulnerability was exploited. We are going to replace if we hear again.
Trending Merchandise
ANTEC AX61 Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Cas...
PHILIPS 22 inch Class Skinny Full H...
Thermaltake View 200 TG ARGB Mother...
LG FHD 32-Inch Pc Monitor 32ML600M-...
AMANSON PC CASE ATX 9 PWM ARGB Fans...
ASUS RT-AX88U PRO AX6000 Twin Band ...
Cudy New AX3000 Twin Band Wi-Fi 6 R...
HP 2024 Latest Laptop computer | 15...
SABLUTE Wi-fi Keyboard and Mouse Co...
